Qualities of a Healthy Relationship
Source: Family Bridges
- Accept each other's basic personalities exactly the way they are. Never think you can change someone. However, expect yourselves to change over time as both of you mature together.
- Find and pay attention to what you admire about each other.
- Nurture your feelings of affection for each other.
- Learn and practice skills to really listen and hear each other.
- Learn and practice skills for resolving relationship conflicts.
- Make time together and have some fun. Do not let conflicts or arguments spoil those times.
- Take the time to learn what your partner wants as demonstration of your love.
- Take the time to be affectionate and nurture one another.
- Be a team—a united front. Tackle any problems as a team. Learn and practice skills for solving problems.
- Learn from your mistakes. Learn to forgive.
- Honor your commitment. Do not put yourself in situations where you might be tempted to mess around with someone else.
- Recognize when you need support and know where you can find it.